Friday, July 31, 2009

July 31 - Shane's WOD

Well, main page posted "Nicole" as the WOD for the today. Which is:

As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:
Run 400m
Max reps pull-ups

I am going to briefly question the genius of Coach Glassman. Last Friday, one week ago today, the WOD was "Lynne:"

5 rounds for max reps:
Bodyweight bench-press
Pull-Ups

There is no way that anyone can convince me that you should be doing multiples sets of pull-ups to complete failure in two different WODs this close together. My belief is that if you attacked "Lynne" the way it is meant to be attacked, truly pushing yourself too and beyond your physical limits for 5 sets, that you would be insane to do the same thing just one week later. My arms and biceps didn't start feeling normal until yesterday. Destroying them the exact same way again today would come with a major risk of injury in my eyes. A 21-15-9 or something of that nature that included pull-ups would be well within reason...but more max reps sets is not.

So, I decided to change things up a bit today. I did:

As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:
Run 400m
Max reps thrusters, 75#

This was nothing short of BRUTAL!

20-15-13-15-15.

I came back from my 5th run and had about 90 seconds left on the clock, so I took a nice long breather before doing my last set of thrusters since I knew there was no way I could complete another run anyway. I could have done better on sets 1 through 3, but my brain just shut off and I put the bar down. Adding running to those thrusters just makes it unreal. I defined a set termination by having to stop moving for any measurable amount of time. Obviously I could have squeezed a few more in on each set by resting with the bar in the front rack, but I felt that went against the intent of the WOD.

This was NASTY! I couldn't stop sweating for about 45 minutes. Again, not my best performance, but I can't break records everyday. Woo hoo! Will be making up and doing my own WODs with limited equipment at my parent's house this weekend. Should actually be pretty fun!

2 comments:

  1. Do you want to go the Games next year, Shane?

    We don't question the task at hand. We are both better than that. If an athlete questioned the task at hand in Aromas, a couple of weeks ago, they failed. See Dutch Lowy's finish. The tasks were crazy, Dutch was right about that, so he just didn't do complete them (to his ability).

    We DON'T QUESTION the task at hand. Question your means of recovery. Do you Paleo? Do you zone? Is your pH acidic or basic? Alcohol consumption? Sleep? Simple supplementation? Is your mind right? Is your heart right? Recovery involves all of this.

    This is what we question. We will do whatever it takes, whenever it needs to be done to reach a goal. Especially when the goal is to fly out to California and compete in a brutal event with limits unknown and tasks unseen.

    This is my attitude. And I am NOT going to watch a competition, next summer, unless I am in the athlete's shed, preparing myself for the inevitable pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Web, thanks. That is probably exactly what I needed to hear and I agree with most of your thoughts. The real issue here may well be my recovery and not the task itself. If I focused more on recoverey and not doing some of the things that I know I shouldn't (beer) I may not have had crippled arms for as long as I did. That being said, with how my arms have felt all week, I had no business doing "Nicole" today. For this day, I made the best decision for my body. But, I am going to spend some time thinking about what you said as maybe I am questioning the wrong things.

    ReplyDelete