Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Shane: Oct 12 through 18

On October 12th, I did "Bugaboo" as posted below by Ben.  My results are under the comments.  This was a brutal WOD, but it was an honor to do it, I did my best as if "Bug" was watching me.  This actually came at a great time for me, coming off of another mental game failure at a competition, having "Bug" there as a motivation factor helped me kick it into the next gear.  Thanks "Bug", I'll be looking to you and your Sister for motivation again in the future.

October 13 through 15: I am kind of in limbo with the Olympic Lifting Certification coming this weeked.  I don't want to risk injury, DOMS or exhaustion heading into the cert so I have decided to take these days as rest.

October 16: Ben and I have deadlift/basic barbell mechanics session and possibly a not too brutal WOD planned with Vic Zachary of Bayou City CrossFit for this Friday morning.  Really looking forward to it.

October 17 & 18: CrossFit Olympic Lifting Certification at Alamo CrossFit in San Antonio, TX.  Ben and I are hoping to hone in on the more technical lifts and have a great time in San Antonio.

I will hop back on the CrossFit.com main page WODs after this.  Side note: I am going to stay one 3 days on, 1 day off rotation behind on the main page starting next week.  This will allow for better WOD planning around life and movement substitions and etc.

See you next week!

1 comment:

  1. From what I have gathered, the Olympic Lifting Certs are very valuable, for those wanting to improve personal technique and for affiliate owners wanting to improve programming and bring bodies in the door. I am sure the Level I certs are awesome and I would love to go some day, but if you have been following CF for a period of time and read the CFJ religiously, I have heard it is basically a review of the basic material you probably already know. Nonetheless, it is I am sure more than worthwhile from a learning and networking perspective, and an obvious stage gate for people hoping to affiliate or train.

    I found this linked from the CF Balboa website if you have not seen. It paints an overall negative picture of the CF community and attacks it from a programming perspective - too big too fast. It also mentions that Mark Rippetoe is no longer involved with the CFHQ. If true that would seem to be a loss. Have enjoyed his journal content and read his books.

    http://greyskullarticles.blogspot.com/2009/10/recently-ive-received-lot-of-emails.html

    The author may have a point to a certain degree, but my high level summation of his thoughts is don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Training quality I am sure varies from box to box, but if fat lazy Americans are moving at all, that is in general a good thing. The more advanced people will flock to gyms that cater to that level of fitness / athleticism.

    Enjoy the certification. Coincidentally will be in San Antonio for my nephews JH football game, thus the whole paleo thing is in serious jeopardy of an assault by either Mi Tierra or Alamo Cafe......

    Jon

    ReplyDelete